After nine years of trying to get her abusive husband punished for killing their son and landing another in jail, Phindile Hadebe hopes that justice will be served.
Yesterday, members of NGO People Against Women Abuse (Powa) and the Katlehong community protested outside the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court where David Hadebe appeared briefly.
He was to be sentenced for murder but the case was postponed due to the unavailability of a defence lawyer.
It took nine years for David to be prosecuted and convicted of killing his own son.
Powa said it had intervened in the case two years ago after being approached by the community about the abuse that was continuing while David was out on bail.
On Christmas Day in 2006, Hadebe and her two sons had gone to visit her family, leaving her husband behind at their home in Katlehong. When they returned, David had locked them out of the house.
Their son. Musawenkosi, who was 20 at the time, managed to open the door but when he went in, his father stabbed him three times.
David Hadebe was arrested after being captured and beaten by members of the community. He was later released on bail. While on bail, Hadebe’s eldest son shot him, leading to a conviction of attempted murder. The son is serving a five-year prison sentence.
“Had he not been released on bail my son would never have attacked him and he would not be in jail,” Phindile Hadebe said. “I have been through so much. I’ve lost both my sons because of this man. He must just be sentenced and go to jail for good.”
She said her struggle to get justice had been long and painful. Hadebe said the case docket had miraculously disappeared and that she had been told that that was the end of it. It was only when Powa wrote a letter to the National Prosecuting Authority asking for the charges to be reinstated that she had gained hope again. David Hadebe will be sentenced on April 4.