To be a feminist organisation that provides professional services that comprise of advocacy, training, psycho-social support, legal and sheltering to survivors of violence. POWA is committed to enhancing the quality of life of all women and girls.
A safe and equal society intolerant of all forms of violence against women and girls in all our diversity, where we are treated with respect and dignity and our rights are promoted.
Some of the notable achievements include:
Opening the first shelter for abused women in South Africa in 1981, and the first Gauteng based second stage (or transitional) housing scheme for women in 2009.
- Building the capacity of emerging organizations in Limpopo, Northern Cape, North West and Mpumalanga provinces, which in turn leads to better access for women from rural and under-resourced areas.
- Ensuring greater access to justice and legal services for women.
- Jozi Award Community Development Award 2015
- Gauteng Department of Social Development
MEC Mazibuko 2015 Gauteng Care Givers Awards
- In recognition of women for making the difference by contributing positively towards moving Gauteng City Region Forward
Human Rights & Democracy Award 2004
Gender Equality Award
- Contributing to the law – making process around Domestic Violence Act, Sexual Offences Act and to monitoring the implementation of these laws.
- Ensuring women have greater economic independence through providing skills and income generation infrastructure which has led to women survivors of SGBV from Katlehong being awarded a tender for school uniforms.